So you are planning to have that well-earned break… maybe even sneak away on a real holiday!
Make sure it is a relaxing one by checking through our lists to ensure you can leave the business behind knowing that it is safe and everything is in hand.
Before the Break
- Plan your break well in advance and find a fair way to decide who will keep the business operating over the holiday period if necessary.
- Be sure to let all of your customers and suppliers know well in advance if your business is to be closed – consider sending out an eNews, changing your email signature or putting a message on your website with the details of the closure dates.
- Chase up any overdue invoices well before the Christmas break – some businesses may go on leave earlier than you expect.
- Be prepared for your suppliers to be on holidays. Plan ahead. Don’t get caught short.
- Review your security. Make sure the business is secure with all alarms etc operating.
- Back up! Back up! Back up! – A basic point but essential! Preferably have at least 3 back-ups of all important data, and store offsite, somewhere secure.
- Change your answering machine message and provide an emergency contact number or email address just in case.
- Before walking out the door, unplug any equipment that doesn’t need to be on such as computers, monitors, printers, internet modem and routers (as long as you don’t need access to any of these while you are away). This will help to protect your equipment from power surges.
During the break
Do your best to stay away from your computer, office, business and give your body and mind a well-earned break!
Spend time and give your undivided attention to your family and friends, however always keep a pen and paper handy to jot down any inspiring ideas that you have – (they often seem to flow when you are relaxed and socialising) – ready for action in the new year.
Back … refreshed and ready to go!
- Remember not all of your staff might come back feeling as motivated as you after a nice break away. Find ways to help them to get excited about the business again!
- When you get back to the office or onto your home computer after a holiday break, make sure you give your antivirus program time to download, and install any program updates before you check your emails or surf the internet.
- Remove your website message with the closure dates and update your email signature if you changed this.
- Change your answering machine message again and let clients know that you are back.
- While you are feeling fresh and relaxed, stop and give your business a health check. Review the health of your business and identify potential issues and opportunities.
- And remember – first thing in the new year is a great time to commence work on your business marketing including reviewing and improving your website or print materials.